[lit-ideas] Re: Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs (Is: Sexual Perversions in Myth)

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:52:00 -0800

One of [Tarski's] examples, and this to please Walter O. who speaks German, was:

"Schnee ist Weiss"

Nobody even _tried_ to refute him. I had to re-read my Sextus Empiricus (Loeb) to find Tarski's T-predicate was _wrong_:
Sextus writes:

Ah, but Anaxagoras missed the point.

Tarski's initial schematization of the Semantic Conception of Truth, was this

 "Snow is white" is true if and only if snow is white.

Tarski nowhere makes the absurd claim that snow is white. He'd read the Pre-Socratics.

The SCT works equally well with

"JL is Austrian" is true iff JL is Austrian. One must be aware of the conditional form of SCT. Conditionals were unknown to Anaxagoras, Thales, Anaximander, etc

Robert Paul