[lit-ideas] Sleeping under bridges

  • From: "Kahn, Rupert" <R.D.Kahn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 10:00:35 +0100

The version I've heard is from Anatole France:

to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

but Wikiquote has a slight variation as well:

"How noble the law, in its majestic equality, that both the rich and
poor are equally prohibited from peeing in the streets, sleeping under
bridges, and stealing bread!
Le Lys Rouge (The Red Lily), ch. 7 (1894)"

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Anatole_France