[lit-ideas] Re: Sick dogs

  • From: Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Paul)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 11 Jun 2004 16:08:21 PDT

Earlier (last night?) I tried to email some amateur veterinary information to
Erin Holder about her sick dog. I meant it to be a private post.

However, I somehow sent it to the list. This listserv does not like my mail
program and if I don't remember to send my posts in ASCII 'plain text' (not my
mail program's default setting apparently), my posts appear as inscrutable
nothings on the list. But, my slip turns out in this case to have been for the
best, and those who found my contribution perplexing should take an even strain,
as Captain Geary would say. They missed nothing.

I'm glad to hear from Walter again, and look forward to having the steps from
the fact that some dogs can understand some words to questions about
responsibility for beliefs spelled out for beginners. As I remember, Walter
believes beliefs are causes _and_ that to act on a belief that contradicts other
beliefs one holds (and is aware of holding) is to act irrationally (a prima
facie safe position). He also believes (I think) that one can never act for
reasons one thinks are less than the best one has without, again, acting
irrationally. I have the sinking feeling though that I haven't quite captured
what it is that he believes about beliefs. But I'll bet he believes something.

Robert Paul
Reed College