[lit-ideas] Sexy Address

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LIT-IDEAS" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 13:44:36 -0500

I've always wanted to have a sexy address.  Something like "77 Sunset Strip"
or "Boul Mich".  I still don't have one, but I'm getting closer.  I now live
at 77 N. Belvedere Boulevard.  "77 Boul Bel" I call it.  It really is a
boulevard with trees lining both sides of the street and a grassy median
with dogwood trees.  True to it's pretentious name, it's a street of
meticulously maintained old mansions.   Unfortunately that's all three
blocks south of me.  I live on the servant end of the boulevard.  We boast
of traffic and trafficking.  There are some trees on this end, but nothing
like the manicured end of the boulevard.  I live in what I've always called
a quadruplex, a two story building with 4 apartments, two on each floor.
There are a lot of these in Midtown, they were built in the 20's and 30's, I
would guess.  Ten foot ceilings, large rooms, big windows, but very linear.
The kitchen is two football fields away, at the rear of the apartment and I
hate that.  Each apartment has a large front porch or balcony in the case of
upstairs apartments, which is my case.  It looks as if it's just waiting for
the straw that broke the camel's back to collapse, but so does America under
Bush, so what the hell, let's party.  I've lived in these quadruplexes three
other times in my life.  Always upstairs and I've always sworn I'd never
live upstairs ever again.  I hate coming home dog-ass tired and have to
climb ninety-two stairs.  If there were a just God, he would kill me and put
me out of the coming months of misery at this very moment.........

See, there's no just God.  I do swear this, and carve it in stone:  I will
never ever move again.  I'm amazed that I can still type.  Every muscle in
my body cries: "Surcease!  Surcease!"  That's fancy language for muscles, I
know, but they have to get my attention some way.  I respect them for that.
I'd never say "surcease", mind you, not in a thousand years, not even to a
Professor.  But I have surceased and am beginning to surface.  O brave gnu
world that has such hunters in it.

The older I get the more I wonder why I'm hanging around just to get older.
There are, I guess, some legitimate reasons to go on living.  A sexy
address, for instance.  I'd live forever if I had that.  The main thing is
to be envied.  That's what life's all about.  Who wouldn't envy me if I had
a sexy address?  I call upon this list to suggest Sexy Address names that I
can petition the City Council to change this servant end of Belvedere Blvd
to.  Something that will give us class or get us some ass.

Mike Geary
barely alive, but still breathing