[lit-ideas] Re: Sexy Address

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:56:18 -0700 (PDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Stan Spiegel <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Jul 10, 2004 12:27 AM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Sexy Address

Mike - You sound like Billy Crystal has moved into your brain. He's the one
who used to say -- on Saturday Night Live -- "Dahling, it's more important
to look good than to feel good." Obviously it's more important to have a
sexy address than anything else.

A.A.  Society is warped.  Pleasing one's self without injuring anyone else is
the point of living.  Unless there's money involved, pleasing others is a waste
of effort.

S.S. "The older I get the more I wonder why I'm hanging around just to get
older.
There are, I guess, some legitimate reasons to go on living.  A sexy
address, for instance.  I'd live forever if I had that.  The main thing is
to be envied.  That's what life's all about.  Who wouldn't envy me if I had
a sexy address?"  Who could disagree with that?

A.A.  The older I get, the more I think, screw 'em.  Most people are so
superficial that they're not worth the time of day.  Our war genes aren't just
about war.  They're about being mean at the slightest opportunity.  Human
beings are mean animals.  They're as loving as any cat with any mouse.  One of
God's little jokes:  Create a species that is inherently evil, then create the
need to be accepted by these things.  The commercial for that diet drug,
propounded by miserable wreck Nicole Whatever Her Name Is uses the slogan, "Be
Envied".  Right.  Be damned is more like it.

S.S. But I wouldn't mind exchanging my sexy address in Portland, Maine (for
whatever it's worth) for your Sunday Morning capacity to write affecting
poetry. (Don't tell my wife.) That doesn't mean I'm moving to Memphis. I
think I'd rather die than move to a hot & humid Southern State with its
small-town Republicanism and wonderfully friendly rules of etiquette and
conformity. How do you live there with its blind support for Bush & Co --
without seething. It's hot enough without seething. Summertime in the  Deep
South. God, that's my worst nightmare. It's no wonder you're "barely alive
but still breathing."

A.A.  Mike's last set of poems sent chills through me, and you can see what a
sensitive guy I am.  The man is talented.  Regarding the South, Florida maybe
notwithstanding, Old Abe didn't do the country any favors by keeping them in
the Union.  I've said it before: Hitler, Stalin, the American South.  What's
the difference.  In the case of the American South, they even fought to the
death for the right to string each other from trees and take pictures for their
trophy collection.

Andy Amago
Looking forward to tomorrow's Sunday poems from Mike

Stan
grateful for a cool July in Maine