[lit-ideas] Re: Saying an EP

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 10:02:04 EDT

In a message dated 4/17/2004 6:55:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The problem is whether a. blue is simple or complex - if blue can be analysed
in terms of statements of velocity it might seem it is *not* an EP or
elementary name. b. is 'here' an EP - or can the space-time point it points
to be further broken down in terms of more specific 'heres' [here in my room
can be broken down in the many points of 'here' in my room].
And is there a specifiable end to this breaking down where we arrive an some
sayable EPs?
My hunch is no.
My hunch would be that 'GREEN here' is not elementary since, it is physically
provable, 'Green Here' would be logically equivalent to 'Blue AND Yellow
Here'.
There is a complication with this: the American flag is Red, White and Blue.
White does not really count, but that does not make the flag VIOLET, does it.

Usually the colour mentioned for 'elementary propositions' is _yellow_ as
does G. E. Moore in _Principia Ethica_.

The 'here' in 'Yellow here' is _not_ space-temporal but refers to the
Perception of the Sense Datum. It means 'Yellow hic et nunc', 'yellow in my
(stream
of) consciousness', as Virginia Woolf memorably put it.

Cheers,

JL