[lit-ideas] Re: Saying an EP

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 11:55:26 +0100 (BST)

>If Donal wants to suggest
> "Blue here" as an elementary proposition, he will encounter no problems
> with
> Wittgenstein.

Robert Paul suggested 'blue here' as an EP: I did not. Nor do I know where W
suggested it.

The problem is whether a. blue is simple or complex - if blue can be analysed
in terms of statements of velocity it might seem it is *not* an EP or
elementary name. b. is 'here' an EP - or can the space-time point it points
to be further broken down in terms of more specific 'heres' [here in my room
can be broken down in the many points of 'here' in my room].

And is there a specifiable end to this breaking down where we arrive an some
sayable EPs?

My hunch is no.

Donal