[lit-ideas] Re: SUNDAY Diary Entry

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 15:17:58 -0700

On Jul 22, 2007, at 2:50 PM, Mike Geary wrote:

WHAT'S THAT I FEEL DRIBBLING DOWN MY LEG?

http://www.guntheranderson.com/v/data/allthing.htm

Dear Diary: Friday, up till the wee hours following tennis and then, after the merest hint of sleep, up betimes to hie me to the airport with the teen Frog who, when quizzed, said that he had followed all directives about carry ons and security but who, when inspected by inspecty-people, proved to have on his bag an Un-approved Lock and in his jacket Something Else which Wasn't Quite Right. By the time the latter was discovered he was too far away for me to be of any assistance. They gave him his jacket back. Whether they kept anything, I couldn't see. A cigarette lighter perhaps? One way or another, he passed over some of your heads, or near where your heads may have been, on his way from here to Philadelphia to Paris, done with his month chez nous.

Then back in time for the plumber's return visit, or perhaps it's a new tradition--the plumber always comes on Fridays? This time he both said and demonstrated that the leak couldn't possibly be caused by the plumbing, so the water must be coming between the tiles. You won't remember, but the very first time this company chased this leak, the same line was used. As Earnest T. Shakespeare wrote in "The Merry Plumbers of Windsor," "when plumbing leaks first appear/ bark-tired ears will chase their tails/ and all your purse's ancient, stormy fears/ like armored cavalry o'ercrests surrounding hills..."

And then it was off to Julia's driving test...in Sherwood. We looked everywhere for Robin Hood, but apparently he was getting ready for "Nottingham Days" or "Sherwood, Men in Tights," or some such festival that is to take place this weekend. She passed, with the same ninety five percent that Emily got, so domestic driving competitiveness will not be an issue this evening.

As I typed that, it occurred to me that they rarely compete about anything; theirs is a very tranquil relationship.

While Julia was out driving I started, "Gilead." It begins well. Thank you, John.

Today, due to engineering works on the Brighton Line no further writing is scheduled, which will suit most people just fine. To others I'd suggest your second best hay making might be in order, for I have just heard that Rabbi Sherwin Wine, a pretty good humanist, has been killed in a road accident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherwin_Wine

Wikipedia knew before I did.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon