[lit-ideas] Re: S. Holmes / S. Freud

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 15:52:11 -0230

Quoting Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Walter Okshevsky wrote:
>
> "A very distinctive affair, indeed, Watson. A woman by the name of Stella
> Oden goes to her mother's funeral and sees a man whom she is immediately and
> absolutely enraptured by. She knows, as she has never known before, that
> this man is her soul mate. But, alas, after the service, he disappears and
> she has neither a name nor a forwarding address. Three days later, Ms. Oden
> murders her sister Clara. What was her motive, Watson? You have only one try
> (and leave my violin alone, would you!)"
>
> Clara was in love with Stella's fiance, over whom the two had become
> estranged.  In order to separate the fiance from Stella, Clara murders their
> mother and hires a man to attend the funeral, flirt with Stella, and then
> disappear.  (The mother's funeral guarantees that Stella would be in a
> particular place and time.  It also puts Stella into an unsettled emotional
> state.  Could also be that the mother was supporting Stella over Clara in
> terms of marrying the fiance.  Perhaps Stella didn't really love the fiancee
> but was doing it to please the mother? spite Clara?)  Stella breaks off her
> engagement in order to pursue the handsome stranger.  Clara promptly turns
> up to console the ex-fiance.  Stella realizes what Clara has done and kills
> her.  Three days is a bit tight for this scenario but Victorian women were a
> repressed lot and prone to outbursts.  Well at least that's my story and I'm
> sticking to it.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Phil Enns

Damn! I knew the right answer before reading Phil's post and now I've forgotten
thanks to all of Phil's convolutions, dips, turns, twists, involutions, deus ex
machinii, counter-factual conditionals, barkings up wrong trees, deadend leads
and forensic synthesizing. I think Paul had the "right" answer.

Walter O.
External Examiner
Pulp Fiction U.

(Some of us perchance are reading a tad too much Rusian literature?)