[lit-ideas] Re: Richard Dawkins on Kansas, scientific logic and mystery

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 18:46:50 -0700

Andreas wrote:

> But they don't mention the logical fallacy in ID. ID argues that life shows
> there must have
> been an "intelligent designer". So who is (or was) this Intelligent Designer?
> Either the
> Christian's god (they secretly hope) or aliens on Andromeda.

As Leibniz said, you can't explain the existence of matter by appealing
to something material.

I don't know why the failure of William Paley's arguments to convince
very many people isn't brought up in discussions of ID, or why Hume's
prescient demolition of them is never mentioned either.

Robert Paul
The Mutton Group