[lit-ideas] Re: Restroom research

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 20:10:12 -0500

I'm off to Ireland next week, and I'll have to start remembering that
I'm supposed to use the door labeled "FIR" there. I'm guessing this is
the men's room. This has worked so far, at any rate, but I'm still not
100% sure. I'm suspicious because Gaelehcht (sp?) (Gaelic) doesn't
usually look ANYTHING like ANY language I know, but "FIR" is curiously
evocative of "VIR," the root of "virtue" and uprightness and all that
other male anatomical stuff. Cognate or circumstance?  And, more
importantly, can I KEEP using the FIR door?