[lit-ideas] Re: Reproduced music

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:57:55 -0400

Duo-art reproducing pianos have been around since the beginning of the
20th century. You can hear "reproducing piano" recordings of piano
performances by Saint-Saens, Gershwin, Albeniz, Prokofiev, Ravel, etc. I
have a few in my collection.

You might be interested in George Gershwin's performance of the solo
piano versions of Rhapsody in Blue and American in Paris. His take on
Rhapsody in Blue is particularly manic and up-tempo.

Prokofiev's performance of "Ballad of the Chicks Emerging from Their
Shells" from Mussourgsky's _Pictures at an Exhibition_ is particularly
brilliant. Also Josef Hofmann's read of Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata"
on ampico is probably the greatest performance of the piece I have ever
heard.

The reproducing piano phenomena--art by proxy--was a fascination of
author William Gaddis. His last novel, _Agape, Agape_ is a treatment of
art by proxy and features a lot of reproducing-piano lore.

Eric