[lit-ideas] Re: Religion, Public Reason, and Islamism

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 21:01:52 -0700

Mike,

In two recent notes you invoked names in lieu of arguments.  I like to argue
from evidence or present assumptions and then draw conclusions from them.
After a series of such notes you responded more or less to them all by
invoking one name, Bloomberg.

Now today I mentioned in passing that the arguments of McCarthy have been
largely vindicated by evidence.  The KGB files have been opened and evidence
has been produced regarding the names and activities of Soviet spies in the
U.S.   What do you argue in response?  You in effect say, "you referred to
McCarthy without cursing him, therefore all your arguments must be
rejected."

You remind me a bit of Oxford, that is, of what Jonathan Swift thought of
him when he wrote, "In your public capacity you have often angered me to the
heart, but, as a private man, never."  [Swift letter to Oxford, 3 July 1714]

Lawrence