[lit-ideas] Re: Reframing Christianity [was hijacking]

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 20:11:16 -0500

Eric Yost wrote:

"In Christian writings, you have Simon Magus in Acts 8 and the letter of
First Timmy. But before Christianity you have a bunch of dualisms like
Platonism and Zoroastrianism that show gnostic tendencies. Most of the
known mystery cults of the Hellenistic period had gnostic components as
well as some writings from the Qumran sects."

Certainly the sources of Gnosticism pre-date Christianity but I am not
aware of any contemporary scholarship that would date Gnosticism this
early.  The scholarly consensus seems to place the flourishing of
Gnosticism within the third century.  I think there is good evidence to
suggest that Gnosticism was already present at the end of the first
century, but doesn't really take form till Valentinius.  However one
wants to date Gnosticism, it is worth noting that there are a great many
differing views on what constitutes Gnosticism.  The most obvious
problem with fixing the nature and dates of Gnosticism is that the
designation is a modern one and so the whole debate reeks of
anachronism.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON