[lit-ideas] Quote from Andre Breton?

  • From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 15:13:58 +0900

Help, please.

My dear wife is working on the translation of an article about
Surrealism in Japanese Photography. The author has supplied a quote
in Japanese, which says something like the following,

"I envy the power to evoke the spirits of the dead, which some
objects, like gods, possess. In the arts we want to make that power
our own. What we call an objet is the receptacle of that fascination
to which we aspire."

> 「・・・神としてのオブジェの持つ死霊を呼び起す能力をわれわれは
> とりわけ妬ましく思っており、芸術においては、われわれがわがもの
> としたいと望んでいる魅力そのものを一手にひきうけているのがこの
> オブジェだと、われわれは、考えているのである。
>           アンドレ・ブルトン「シュルレアリスムのオブ
> ジェ展」1936年、パリ

The quote is attributed to Andre Breton, in a 1936 Paris exhibition
catalog (speech?) entitled, "Surrealist Objets."

We will be very grateful, indeed, if someone can identify this quote
and a citable translation, ideally in English.

John McCreery