[lit-ideas] Re: Quote from Andre Breton?

  • From: Ceridwen Harris <cmharris@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 08:19:18 -0400

This makes sense to me as a sculptor - when people look at my work and see
not a chunk of stone but rather a personality, with a living spirit ( and
strangely some do see these things in a sculpture) then the sculptor has in
a sense invoked a spirit. And I would say - again from personal experience
- that that spirit is either projected into the rock by the sculptor during
the creative process (or else freed from it, having been discovered  there
). - The result is that people perceiving the sculpture experience
something like the knowledge you have that someone you know has just
entered a crowded room even while you cannot see them - a kind of passing
prickling awareness of a presence, which the conscious mind quickly tries
to rationalize and then of course that awareness slips away like a wakening
dream.