[lit-ideas] Re: Question for Catholics and other experts

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 21:55:16 -0700

My daughter is thinking of attending a party tomorrow night, dressed as one of the seven deadly sins. We were looking them up on Wikipedia and we got hung up on how to distinguish sloth from apathy. I mean you're sitting in the confessional and someone comes along with a "Bless me father 'cause I have sinned," and then they've done something which sounds like a kind a indolence. You look at the cheat sheet under "sloth," you look under "apathy" and you hope that the guidance is the same or similar, right?

Or am I way off?

Sloth I can imagine at a party. You put a toilet roll on your nose and then you tell everyone you couldn't be bothered to do more. But how does one go as "apathy"?

You notice I'm steering her away from "lust."

David Ritchie,
being a Dad in
Portland, Oregon