[lit-ideas] Re: Publishing........

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:16:10 +0100

> Can you imagine a line more unlikely to pass muster with an editor in
> search of the next Grisham, Ludlum or Rowling

I assumed they hadn't really read it, were -- with the exception of Cape,
who are
really rather more 'lit' than most -- skim-reading, and as you say, looking
for the next
Grisham, Ludlum, Rowling.  Still, John, and joking apart, it
is rather startling that they failed to spot the first line of Pride and
Prejudice
given the Colin Firth TV one (more famous, I'd say, than any other version,
here,
anyway)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/prideandprejudice/

Failing to spot the other books is perhaps more understandable, I've read
them
all but Pride and Prejudice is the only one I know I'd spot immediately.

Incidentally I think I object to the lumping together of Grisham, Ludlum and
Rowling.  I haven't read HP so my objection has to rest on the others.
Ludlum's first books were good of their kind, but he quickly and steadily
got
dreadful; Grisham's unpredictable, he does still write some good stuff.

(If you want an example of dreadfulness/fame, try Patricia Cornwell!)