[lit-ideas] Re: Princip and the Black Hand

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 10:33:26 -0800

On Jan 20, 2007, at 10:20 AM, Lawrence Helm wrote:

<x-tad-bigger>If someone preferring earlier understandings wishes to discount Gerolymatos and Fromkin, I would be interested in learning upon what grounds they do this.</x-tad-bigger>

I haven't time to respond in detail today--another dance competition to go to--but the basis of any challenge I would mount to this understanding is that the letter I quoted, which explains earlier the genesis of the plot, is one stage closer to the event than is an account told to a friend and written down by that friend. But that there should be conflicting accounts of such an act and that some historians should see reason to prefer one over another is, as you know, the norm of our profession.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon