[lit-ideas] Re: Blood Diamond

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 10:39:24 -0800

Both are carbon crystals. So in terms of chemistry, they are identical.

However, the man-made crystal, since it is grown in laboratory conditions, will be a perfect crystal. No flaws, inclusions (tiny bits of other stuff), or other elements (which produce color).

A jeweler who has gem certification can tell the difference. They're trained and tested in the ability to distinguish the various grades of diamonds.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

----- Original Message ----- From: <JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx>
Date: 12/27/2006 2:35:17 P.M. Central Standard Time  From: _pastone@xxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:pastone@xxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 12/27/06, Andreas  Ramos <_andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx) > wrote:
By  the way, the diamond issue may become irrelevant at some point. There's a
fascinating
article in Die Zeit about artificial diamonds.

And that's the irony of the strategy of the diamond cartel. They are  trying
to stop conflict diamonds from entering the system by making it virtually
impossible (theoretically) for them to be dealt -- except through corrupt cartel
members, thereby effectively boycotting the blood diamonds and making THAT
industry non-profitable. But, as cartels are designed to do, they also horde
their own supply and control release making sure prices stay high. If, as you
say, [man-made] diamonds become abundant, it would be interesting to see how
the  glut affects the existing market.

A  number of companies are getting better and better at producing diamonds.
They  can grow
diamonds in any size, such as diamond sheets the size of  dinnerplates which
are used for
lenses. By adding other elements, they can  also produce diamonds in many
colors: blue,
green, red, orange, pink,  purple, and so on. They can even make black
diamonds.

If  this becomes a totally developed industry, it will effectively erase the
cartel's advantages, although even pretentious rich people might forgo the
man-made diamonds just because they can afford to. People are weird that way...