[lit-ideas] Re: Press eyes perversion; Voice urges rebellion

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 00:05:29 -0700

> > "I just got pissed off and I walked out," recalls Hutcheson. None of the
> > others followed
> > him.
>
> Do you think any of them ever will?  What would have happened if they had?

The GOP will blacklist him. No more interviews, press passes, etc. for anything
that has to
do with the White House, Senate, House, Supreme Court, the military, the FBI,
the CIA,
elections, and so on.

His newspaper will lose readership when the newspaper can't score any news
stories. If there
aren't readers, advertising will drop. After a few months, the journalist will
be "let go
for entirely unrelated issues".

The newspaper publishers, editors, and journalists know this, and that's why
they line up
like meek little mice.

The White House press corps knew for several years that "Gannon" was fake, but
they didn't
dare to say anything about it. It was bloggers who uncovered him.

> Wondering if journalists are a fading bunch, good only for reporting on
> burglaries and fires,

It's newspapers that are fading on all critical points: readership, news, and
advertising.

- The readership is growing older very quickly. People under 35 won't read
newspapers.

- Revenues are being sucked away very fast by online classifieds, online job
sites, and
eBay.

- Worst of all, the content is being served better and faster by the web. For
example, more
people (7.6m) read blogspot.com's blogs than the NewYorkTimes.com (5.7m) each
month. The
NYT's readership has been sliding steadily downwards for the last two years.
Blogspot's
readership has been zooming up. Guess which one has spent millions of dollars
in
advertising, and it still didn't help?

If you don't have news, readers, or ads, you don't have a newspaper.

It's pretty bad for newspapers. They are under siege from all sides, and
there's nothing
they can do. It's an obsolete technology.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com