[lit-ideas] Re: Poverty of Heritage

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 14:48:08 -0700

A nugget from the article in today's NYT, which Judy previously posted
(thanks!):

"...Census officials say multigenerational families are most common in
states like California, where the high cost of housing forces families to
double up, and in states where high rates of out-of-wedlock childbearing
lead to home sharing by the mother, her children and her parents.

A variety of cultural factors also draw and keep relatives together.
Multigenerational living, especially those in which grandparents care for
their grandchildren, have long been common in Asian and Hispanic countries,
and the arrangement is popular among immigrants from those nations...."

ck: Three related topics--poverty, housing, and immigration--that we've
discussed recently, in two succinct paragraphs. I was referring to
"multigenerational housing" when I posted about new immigrants pooling their
resources to buy a house here--a savvy use of limited resources. But as this
article also reports, immigrant families shove themselves into what used to
be called "tenements"--crowded, substandard (for America's standards)
housing.

People seem to accept crowded digs for immigrants, when they read about it
in the NYT, but the arrangement is not nearly as acceptable to families of
citizens who are booming into old age. There's not much literature on this
phenomenon, but I'll bet that the surge in elder abuse in the US is related
to younger people feeling burdened by their old parents, and having no
recourse. (Boomers may be the younger, working child, or the aged, disabled
ones.)

Lack of affordable housing--affordable to low incomes (in what used to be
middle-class jobs, perhaps)--plays a huge role here. Again, I'll use a
cheapo town in California as an example of costs for "assisted living":
$15,000 PER MONTH. (This was out of the question even for a former LA
attorney with a reasonable pension, btw.) I'm not talking about nursing
homes, either. Anyway, the adult child steps up to the plate more and more,
since living alone isn't financially possible for either generation. But
living with one's mother, for whatever reason, is not a culturally
acceptable thing for a 30ish white person to do. In an instance that comes
to mind--my friend the attorney--elder abuse was a chronic concern.

There's a lot of talk of "family" in these parts--in America, in general.
But the ideal of a family that takes care of each of its infirm, elderly,
and infantile members is not especially American at all. No, Americans have
aspired to individualism, to go-it-aloneness. That's our cultural heritage.
Now, though, we're asked to shift our priorities because, for one, the
government refuses to restrict runaway capitalism. So we've been sold this
sentimentality bit about "family values" instead of paying decent wages to
caregivers for children and older people, instead of subsidizing housing for
disabled people, instead of having easy access to healthcare before the
situation is a more expensive emergency, etc.

Carol