[lit-ideas] Re: Popper and Grice: Naturalism and its Enemies

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 14:59:36 -0400

In a message dated 8/14/2015 2:39:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
To characterise Popper's position as "anti-naturalism" seems similarly
hopeless. For a useful indication of where Popper stands in relation to _one
strand_ of naturalism, there is the discussion of "Naturalistic" and
"Anti-Naturalistic" doctrines of explanation in "The Poverty of Historicism".
But
I suspect this does not get us very far on the issues before us.

Well, the relevant section Popper apparnetly entitles, "CRITICISM OF THE
ANTI-NATURALISTIC DOCTRINES." But I do not seem to find any use, other than
in the title, by Popper, of the adjective 'anti-naturalistic'.

In any case, I find that Materialism and Naturalism may relate -- both seem
forms of REDUCTIONISM, if we are approaching the thing methodologically.

I should re-read Campbell: I like his coinages, if not, to McEvoy,
convoluted!

Cheers,

Speranza