[lit-ideas] Popper The Sceptic

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:33:52 EST

McEvoy:

"Finding a
swan 'verifies' the statement, not finding 'falsifies' it:  but in neither
case is the finding built on a bedrock and so, being possibly  mistaken,
neither the verification or falsification is logically conclusive.  Thus our
search and our findings are still forms of guesswork."

--- This sounds strangely sceptical, but I think that's the best way to
describe Popper, then.

I see that wiki (scepticism) has an external link to an article on "a
sceptical look at Popper"

-- We have the Stoa, the Garden (Epicurus), The Academia, the Peripatos.
Must we use the boring literal _sceptic_ (from Gk. verb meaning, 'to examine')
for THIS school. Give me a metonymy anyday!

Cheers,

JL