[lit-ideas] Polyeuktos

  • From: jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 12:28:52 -0400

Thanks to Mr. McEvoy for his prompt reply. His commentary, personal in nature, of invaluable kind for my research. Indeed, I agree with Mr. McEvoy that Corneille may have had an axe to grind in creating Polyeucte as a hero. Paolina, his wife, is more loyal to the person than his beliefs. I agree with Donal that Corneille's French is not transparent, but the rhyme and metric helps. I agree about the costume for Poliuto: mostly naked up to the navel, and sandal wearing of course. Most tenors have been hirsute, but I'm not. Paolina, we all agree, was a whore. The lions devouring the hero and the heroine, I disagree with Mr. McEvoy, should not necessarily be giving a singing part.

Best,

J. L. Speranza
Bordighera