[lit-ideas] Re: Political Schadenfreude

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 12:38:22 -0800

On Mar 4, 2009, at 11:16 AM, Judith Evans wrote:

couldn't happen to a nicer party...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1158970/BNP-shot-uses-POLISH- Spitfire-anti-immigration-campaign.html

Brill. Cheered me up more than an improbable piece in my Scottish magazine that claimed, "A Google application released last November was designed to let iPhone users search the Internet with voice commands alone. But it became quickly apparent that the American- designed software was completely hopeless at understanding Scottish accents. When a Scottish user said 'iPhone,' the software thought he said 'sex.' On a second try, the software heard 'sledding.'"

Does this sound plausible to you?

Here's the kicker, "But Scottish users took some comfort knowing the software was even worse with Welsh accents, hearing 'gorillas' and 'kitchen sink' when the word 'iPhone' was spoken."

Blither.

HMS Dragon has been launched.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon