[lit-ideas] Re: Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 18:22:30 -0800

Should there not be some addendum to, I wonder, or coda on, birth certificates? Lawyers could work on proper language, but the gist might be, "I, Dad, promise to watch."

I have done my share, hooraying when they left the airplane (or was it a boat?) behind and gobbled solid foods. I leaped with the first good flush. I have held my breath through the sword dance and seen ghillies come sadly undone.

Now my spectating days are nearly run. My eyes will not glaze over, or glisten. Take down tomorrow therefore, that old eye chart, and teach me how to listen.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon