[lit-ideas] Re: Philosophy unmasked by Wallace Stevens.

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 16:18:16 +0200

Could this be the interview referenced ?

https://gombricharchive.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/showdoc92.pdf

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 3:46 PM, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

[Blocked from Aesthesis thread]

So I thought of providing further extra material of the Gombrich-Popper
interface, throwing some Grice for good measure.>

The long precis, that follows the above, fails to address the issue of
separating out what Gombrich said in the interview from what JLS
"implicates" or interpolates into that interview (without Gombrich having
said it). JLS doesn't even admit there are interpolations. JLS doesn't
address whether "Witters" was a term used by Gombrich or merely one of
these interpolations - even though JLS was specifically asked to.

In terms of there being an issue 'what did G actually say vs. what has JLS
added' this long precis is simply evasive.

Dnl

On Thursday, 9 April 2015, 10:58, Donal McEvoy <
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Was that an allusion to Keats's Grecian Urn ? Anyway, I thought that poem
might be of interest so I searched it and lo and behold, I found Jl's
comments about it on another site.>

Before all those present on this list, I hereby solemnly undertake that
should I come across a poem with a title like "Ode to a Pooper Scooper" I
shall not frequent on-line discussion of that poem to make comments that
are a thinly veiled attempt to introduce the work of Karl Popper.

Thank you.

Dnl

On Thursday, 9 April 2015, 10:38, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Was that an allusion to Keats's Grecian Urn ? Anyway, I thought that poem
might be of interest so I searched it and lo and behold, I found Jl's
comments about it on another site.

Implicature: JL is everywhere.

O.K.

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 12:41 AM, Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

They are the implicature (as interpreted the Gricean earn, JLS)
On Apr 8, 2015 6:17 PM, "Donal McEvoy" <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[Blocked from Aesthesis thread]

A: That's right. I can tell you a Popper anecdote which I like. It's a
true one. At the School of Economics they wanted to introduce one of
those
rapid-reading courses. You know them, the "quick-reading?"

Q: Yes, "speed-reading."

A: Yes. And Popper really did go to the director and ask him whether he
could introduce a slow-reading course. He never received a response --
and
his executors are still waiting!>

I like this too and believe it true. Also Popper is right: there is more
need to train students in slow, careful reading than in speed-reading.

But the rest of the JLS' post is littered with implausiblities of
reporting:-

A: Popper writes that language enables us to tell ourselves a story, to
console oneself by telling oneself a story. You also can whistle in the
dark, as Witters would say.>

In this last sentence Gombrich expresses himself in a way that is an
astonishing anticipation of the expression of JLS - "Witters" and
"whistle". Might JLS confirm that these are G's actual words and not some
interpolation by JLS?

There are many other possible interpolations in the piece, and they
detract from its value since they create doubt as to what G actually said.
But let's start with this one.

Dnl
Ldn

On Wednesday, 8 April 2015, 21:01, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v2GDbEmjGE

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 9:53 PM, Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

from *SIX SIGNIFICANT LANDSCAPES*

VI

Rationalist, wearing square hats,
Think in square rooms,
Looking at the floor,
Looking at the ceiling.
They confine themselves
To right-angled triangles.
If they tried rhomboids,
Cones, waving lines, ellipses --
As for example the ellipse of the half moon --
Rationalists would wear sombreros.

from* ANECDOTE Of MEN BY THE THOUSANDS*

The dress of a woman of Lhassa,
In its place
Is an invisible element of that place
Made visible.

from *THEORY*

I am what is around me.

Women understand this.
One is not a duchess.
A hundred yards from a carriage.

*MEN MADE OUT OF WORDS*

What should we be without the sexual myth,
The human revery or poem of death?

Castratos of moon-mash -- Life consists
Of propositions about life. The human
Revery is a solitude in which
We compose these propositions, torn by dreams,

By the terrible incantations of defeats
And by the fear that defeats and dreams are one.

The whole race is a poet that writes down
The eccentric propositions of its fate.

* * * * * * * * * * **
Said Geary-wise: "It's all rock 'n roll to me."

btw, here's my latest:

*FISHING FOR MEANING*

Remember now that young boy fishing
in a gray water river,
where dragon flies hovered
over slow moving water,
remember the splash and silver flash
of popping shad
and the surprise that was had
pulling up a mud-puppy instead of a fish,
bizarre creature with a flaming gills --
so unsettling to realize
that at the bottom, unseen,
strange creatures feed.

moi.