[lit-ideas] Re: Philosophy unmasked by Wallace Stevens.

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 22:17:15 +0000 (UTC)

[Blocked from Aesthesis thread]

A: That's right. I can tell you a Popper anecdote which I  like. It's a
true one. At the School of Economics they wanted to introduce one  of those
rapid-reading courses. You know them, the "quick-reading?"

Q:  Yes, "speed-reading."

A: Yes. And Popper really did go to the director  and ask him whether he
could introduce a slow-reading course. He never received  a response -- and
his executors are still waiting!>
I like this too and believe it true. Also Popper is right: there is more need
to train students in slow, careful reading than in speed-reading.
But the rest of the JLS' post is littered with implausiblities of reporting:-
A: Popper writes that language enables us to tell  ourselves a story, to
console oneself by telling oneself a story. You also can whistle in the dark,
as Witters would say.>
In this last sentence Gombrich expresses himself in a way that is an
astonishing anticipation of the expression of JLS - "Witters" and "whistle".
Might JLS confirm that these are G's actual words and not some interpolation by
JLS?
There are many other possible interpolations in the piece, and they detract
from its value since they create doubt as to what G actually said. But let's
start with this one.

DnlLdn

On Wednesday, 8 April 2015, 21:01, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v2GDbEmjGE

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 9:53 PM, Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

from SIX SIGNIFICANT LANDSCAPES
VI
Rationalist, wearing square hats,Think in square rooms,Looking at the
floor,Looking at the ceiling. They confine themselvesTo right-angled
triangles.If they tried rhomboids,Cones, waving lines, ellipses --As for
example the ellipse of the half moon -- Rationalists would wear sombreros.
 from ANECDOTE Of MEN BY THE THOUSANDS
The dress of a woman of Lhassa,In its placeIs an invisible element of that
placeMade visible.

from THEORY
I am what is around me. Women understand this.One is not a duchess.A hundred
yards from a carriage.

MEN MADE OUT OF WORDS
What should we be without the sexual myth,The human revery or poem of death?
Castratos of moon-mash -- Life consistsOf propositions about life.  The
humanRevery is a solitude in whichWe compose these propositions, torn by dreams,
By the terrible incantations of defeatsAnd by the fear that defeats and dreams
are one.
The whole race is a poet that writes downThe eccentric propositions of its
fate.                                  * * * * * * * * *  *Said Geary-wise:
"It's all rock 'n roll to me."
btw, here's my latest:
FISHING FOR MEANING Remember now that young boy fishingin a gray water
river,where dragon flies hovered over slow moving water,remember the splash and
silver flash of popping shad and the surprise that was hadpulling up a
mud-puppy instead of a fish,bizarre creature with a flaming gills --  so
unsettling to realize that at the bottom, unseen, strange creatures feed.
moi.