[lit-ideas] Re: Philo-Sophos

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 15:03:03 EDT

M. Chase quotes my

>>Although for Heidegger, [philosophy is] precisely the opposite:
>>[not love of wisdom, but "wisdom of love"   ("philo-sophia").
>>One element in favour of Heidegger's derivation is  that the
>>practitioner  of philosophy is the 'philosopher'  (philosophos', philosophe
[fem.]),
>>which is, not the _lover_ [philos] of wisdom [sophia], but
>>a 'sophos' (wise person) of love -- whatever that meant
>>for Socrates and the Presocratics).

and comments:

>Interesting. Where does Heidegger say this?

Have not been able to find the quote, yet -- Apparently, Heidegger provides
some philological argumentation. Criticised below, though.

It still strikes me that the Greek philosophers would call themselves
"philosophoi", which very much sounds like a derivation of "sophoi" (wise
persons),
rather than a derivation of "lover" (as Socrates tries to convince  us).
Especially taking into account the hot polemics with the 'pseudo' wise  persons
going around under the name (by others) of "sophistes" (sophists).

Cheers,

JL

_http://www.livejournal.com/community/classicalgreek/13703.html_
(http://www.livejournal.com/community/classicalgreek/13703.html)

On the Greek for "philosophia" why does Martin Heidegger interpret it as
"wisdom of love" rather than "love of wisdom?"

 (http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=calbruin) Despite Heidegger's
Classical Philology background, he was not good a  Greek. Having read his
"Early Greek Thinking", one can instantly read his  poor Greek and even worse
ability to perform a proper philological  analysis. Certainly no Vico. In
brief,
Heidegger is bad. Avoid him (i.e.  his philosophy).

 (http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=entangledbank) He's just being
tiresome, though I'm sure he must have known enough  to know what he was
getting into.

Normally, of course, Greek

          noun + noun

compounds are right-headed:

        neuro + manteia

-- a kind of manteia.

Or

        bo-ops

-- a kind of ops.

So, in theory, you could read the compound

      philosophia

that way too

--

(ignoring what everyone knows about the Greek and German (and Latin,
English, French, ...) meanings of philosophy, philology, philanthropy,