[lit-ideas] Perl on Vermeer

  • From: "Joe Leduc" <jgl15@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:12:19 -0400

Jed Perl has a smooch note to the recently sold Vermeer painting over at The
New Republic?s website.  You can read it by using this url:

http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=mindseye&s=perl070904&pt=tL%2FQGRjHgw38B%2FU5nwBx2g%3D%3D

Perl manages to glide over the fact (also unmentioned in the NY Times
article recently posted here) that the reason many people have continued to
doubt the attribution of the painting is that it isn?t very good, at least
by the standard expected.

A long time ago, on a mailing list far, far away, I once posted a
much-too-long message that touched in part on my dislike of Perl?s
criticism.  More recently, Tyler Green at Modern Art Notes, said all that
was necessary about Perl in this post:

http://www.artsjournal.com/man/archives20040201.shtml#69027

TNR can, and should, do much better.