[lit-ideas] Perils of the Subgroup

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 15:25:39 -0400

A physician friend forwarded this to me. It was published in Medscape today. Where's Doctor Dee when we need him? -EY

Astrology and Clinical Trials*

Invited discussant for the trial update presented here was Lars Rydén, MD, from the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden. He cautioned the investigators about the perils of subgroup analysis, harking back to the now-famous subgroup analysis of data from ISIS II by Peter Sleight, MD, and colleagues at Oxford University, in the United Kingdom, showing that for MI patients born under the astrological signs of Libra and Gemini, aspirin therapy was associated with harm, "and who believes that actually?" Dr. Rydén said. "There are similar examples of sub-sub-subgroup analysis ending up like that."