[lit-ideas] Penn and Penn

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 12:00:27 -0500

Popper's Address to the Inductivists.

In a message dated 11/17/2015 3:39:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Obviously Popper lived in some squalid little place in London when he
first arrived, near Paddington."

He also lived at 16 Burlington Rise.

The place near Havacombe where Sir Karl lived was Fallowfield, Manor
Close, Manor Road, in, incidentally, a town named Penn, as in the founder of
Pennsylvania (relation).

Geary told me: "People often say, 'no relation', but everything is related
to everything, and you should EXplicate that!".

But back to Penn -- "Penn and Penn" proves a Popperian point.

Segraves Manor is the principal manor in Penn, and naturally belonged to
the Penn family.

Sybil Penn, wife of David Penn, was dry nurse and foster mother to King
Edward VI and Lady of the Bed Chamber to his sister Queen Elizabeth I.

William Penn (after whose father, Admiral Sir William Penn, Pennsylvania
is named) erroneously believed himself to be a descendant of this family.

The implicatural point is the use of 'erroneously' -- which relates to
Geary's "(relation)".

i. William Penn, Jr., erroneously believed that he was a descendant of the
Penns of Segraves Manor, in Penn, Bucks.

But did Sir William Penn (after whom Pennsylvania is named) share this
erroneous belief?

No, he did not.

So, at what point did William Penn, Jr. acquire this false belief, and why?

Popper possibly knew this (or not).

Cheers,

Speranza