[lit-ideas] Re: Pecha-Kucha

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 14:20:34 +0900

On 9/4/07, David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sep 3, 2007, at 9:28 PM, Andreas Ramos wrote:
>
> > I hate PowerPoint presentations.
> > I really hate PowerPoint presentations that use lots of special
> > effects.
>
> Gummy declarations that bite effortlessly have been my (limited)
> experience.  When I see the set-up I generally try for a seat close
> to the exit.  There's nothing inherently wrong with the technology;
> pictures can be very helpful.  The problem in my view is that some
> presenters think that if pictures are up on the screen, engaging or
> thoughtful talk is less necessary.

What is striking to me is the kneejerk quality of the comments
presented here. Especially striking that, since the inventors of
Pecha-Kucha appear to share your concerns. But as artists instead of
critics they have turned what we don't like into a phenomenon that has
spread from Tokyo to 80 cities around the world. How fuddy-duddy can
we get?

John

John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN