[lit-ideas] Re: Pecha-Kucha

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 08:41:11 -0700

On Sep 4, 2007, at 8:14 AM, John McCreery wrote:

On 9/4/07, Andreas Ramos <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But I (and I believe David) weren't talking about that. I'm talking about standard PowerPoint presentations, especially when done by marketing or sales people. I have to put up with several of these every week. It's so bad that when the very first slide goes up, there is a general sigh in the room
and everyone is resigned to the presentation.

It was perfectly clear that that was what you were talking about, thus evidence that, instead of responding to the article, you had reacted in kneejerk fashion to the mention of Power Point.

Well, no. I sat through the presentation on U-Tube and asked myself if it seemed different from the kinds of thing I get exposed to. The answer is, "no." Thus Andreas and I are probably talking about different experiences (though I have sat through any number of medical power point presentations which might well be like the sales presentations--say something, show an image which says the same thing...)

I stayed out of the earlier round of talk about power point because I hadn't examined why power point presentations annoy me. What I was trying to say yesterday is that I am happy to look, and I want to listen, but most power point presentations I've attended have worked on the premise that with plenty of images one needs to make very little effort with the words. This example was better with words and it is short, but I don't see it as a time-saving success or as a better way to put a point across. If someone were to begin, "Though some humans respond well to commands, a good many of us, particularly when stressed, respond more readily and better to kind words..." I think we'd get to the point in an instant; it's not a very complicated idea. I don't need to see "I've edited out part of the picture and now I've put it back in."

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon