[lit-ideas] Patrick Murphy Does His Job

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 23:24:00 EDT

In a message dated 5/29/2010 11:28:38  P.M., molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I sent two letters a few days ago, both of  which appeared in my sent items
box.  But they never appeared in my Inbox,  which I like to check for
accuracy in case I missed something when I  proof  read it.  I know one got
through because Mr. Speranza sent a  response.  The other one referred to
Congressman Patrick Murphy.  I  would appreciate it if you received that one if
you
let me know.  About  once a month I have to resubscibe to fix one thing or
another.  It had same  subject line as this one.
Thanks.
Veronica Caley,
Milford, MI

----

Veronica. I have just used the search-engine at the lit-ideas files, and
indeed, the post where you referred to me as the 'Grice expert' ALSO included
 the bit about the P. Murphy. I skipped that because I was so excited you
were  quoting me that I made my point without going through the details of
your  post.

I LOVE R. Maddow. I think she is GREAT. She is NOT a journalist, of
course! More of a showwoman! So I can imagine the interview.

The point was about sexual orientation, etc. (She is a lesbian, Rachel, no?
 She is never seen in tabloids going out with different men! Just joking).
Anyway...

So, Murphy qua war veteran (be careful there, because once a VETERAN, no
longer a soldier -- really) says that he would support the 'don't ask don't
tell' because what

"a man does in his bed" or closet is irrelevant for his job done,  etc.

---- I share the feeling! But surely it's more complex than that! I DON'T
THINK the issue should arise in that no reason should be given!
But I recall Maddow also interviewing the same army member who DID come
out, and there was a debate as to whether he could REMAIN in the army.

The 'don't ask don't tell' sounds like hypocrysy, and this soldier who DID
tell even if nobody ASKED him also raises a Gricean point.

The 'justification' by Murphy seems simplistic. There is a LOT written
about male bonding, etc. and there are arguments against and for it.

But basically, the main argument is that a bed is a bed is a bed.  But in
the barracks, a bed is a bed is a bed IN THE BARRACKS. Not to forget the
SHOWERS! So, knowing MALES, a lot of sniggering, abuse, discrimination SHOULD
ensue if somone self-airs, "I'm homosexual".

Not that words fail THERE. "Don't ask, don't tell". Tell WHAT? It seems
that ALL words labelling 'sexuality' are sort of wrong. "I'm straight". "I
never  asked you". Note that 'straight' sounds even gross when it comes to
FEMALES! Or  not!

J. L. Speranza
Bordighera, etc.