[lit-ideas] Re: "Patience on a Monument"

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:04:02 -0500

Mike Chase:
> Here it is (unless some stupid
> machine thinks the text I've laboriously typed out is an attachment,
> and refuses  to send it):

Show me a stupid machine.  Machines are never stupid.  They know what
they're about and live their lives accordingly.  I resent your projection of
human stupidity onto machines.  Machines are my friends.  And yours as well,
but more mine because I take care of machines.  I know when they are in
need.  You obviously ignore the pain and suffering of machinery.  Most
philosophers do.  What a blind eye you turn toward your faithful servants.
If you had to turn at 1750 revolutions per minute day in and day out, don't
you think you'd get worn down?  What if your capacitor started leaking
farads?  Or your pistons were starved for lubrication?  How long could you
keep up the old in-and-out?  A little empathy.  That's all I'm asking.

> Voila. With regard to the argument that emblem books are too
> osbcure
> to be Shakespeare's source, I say: Balderdash.

You'll never see machines using language like that.  They have respect for
the sensibilities of others.

Mike Geary
Memphis