[lit-ideas] Re: Oscar and Fiona and Malvina

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 09:46:57 -0700

On Apr 1, 2014, at 3:00 AM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 4/1/2014 2:58:31 A.M. Eastern  Daylight Time,
> omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> Oscar Wilde was married and  fathered children
>
> ---
>
> No, not the title of a film on free love. But rather my indication that
> Oscar Wilde's mother (Lady Speranza, if you must) was pretty brilliant when
> naming her son "Oscar". I don't know how popular this 'Christian' name was
> then,  but it was invented by a Scots: James Macpherson (or Mac Pherson, as I
> prefer).  He also invented the names of Fiona and Malvina. The Islands which
> the  Argentines call the "Malvinas" are NOT related to this Malvina, though.

"Popularized" might be a safer bet than "invented."  There were Oscars before
Macpherson--as Wikipedia shows--and Iona pre-dates Fiona.  But the "F" may be
MacP's unique contribution.  In a similar vein, I'd heard that J.M.Barrie
invented the name Wendy.  Not so.  Instances in census records demonstrate
this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy

Note that one was a boy.

Those with an interest might enjoy the following:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/25034/8-countries-fascinating-baby-naming-laws

Imagine going to school with the approved New Zealand name, "Number 16 bus
shelter."

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon