[lit-ideas] Oscar and Fiona and Malvina

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 06:00:15 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 4/1/2014 2:58:31 A.M. Eastern  Daylight Time,
omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Oscar Wilde was married and  fathered children

---

No, not the title of a film on free love. But rather my indication that
Oscar Wilde's mother (Lady Speranza, if you must) was pretty brilliant when
naming her son "Oscar". I don't know how popular this 'Christian' name was
then,  but it was invented by a Scots: James Macpherson (or Mac Pherson, as I
prefer).  He also invented the names of Fiona and Malvina. The Islands which
the  Argentines call the "Malvinas" are NOT related to this Malvina, though.

I should add that I hold Mac Pherson a genius.

He built a lovely stately home in Scotland, while he kept both a town house
 in Westminster and a villa in Putney. He is now buried in the Poets
Corner.

Oscar Wilde is perhaps the most famous Oscar of all times -- but the most
royal Oscars must be Oscar I, and Oscar II, of Sweden.

I should not be surprised if Mac Pherson invented OTHER 'Christian' (or
first) names, but these three are perhaps the best known. Or not. (I think Mac
 Pherson's original spelling of Oscar was Oscur).

One implicature to consider is whether Lady 'Speranza' (Oscar Wilde's
mother) at the time of 'christening' her son, thought that Oscar was an old
Ossianic name, or the invention of Mac Pherson. I grant she did not care one
way  or the other.

In the case of the Swedish kings, we have to assume that Oscar I's French
father did think that 'Oscar' was an old -- third-century A. D. -- Scots
name.  Or not.

Cheers,

Speranza