[lit-ideas] Opera: The Art of Dying

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 19:28:59 EDT

In a message dated 4/17/2009 4:31:05 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Or in Santayana's  notion of pleasure as prime to
aesthetics

------

Just  meditating on this.

Of course I'm studying opera right now. And like all  in my family, we like
an opera with _blood_. We don't count 'opera buffa' (Cosi  fan tutte, etc.)
as 'opera'. There has to be blood.

Oddly, this was the  regulation once. E.g. I was reading most plots were
altered from the original  tragical ending (I'm thinking of the plays by
Voltaire on which many operas were  based) to the 'conventional' 'fine lieto',
happy ending.

There is indeed  a book, "Opera, the art of dying" which I should check.

Dying is indeed  not an art: _opera_ is the art of dying.

Anyway. I do have a book I used  once for a seminar on "Pleasure and
Aesthetics", CUP, ed. by a German lady. At  the time I was convinced, like E.
Yost
seems to be, that aisthesis and pleasure  are concomitant.

But then most people like to be _outraged_ by art. (A  rosary submerged in
urine, for example).

With examples of 'art' like  that, I gave up, and lost all interest in
_art_. Aisthesis, though, is a broader  notion and involves _sensation_ in
general, which can be pleasurable (hedone,  for the Greek) or not (loope -- or
'loopy', as Urmson pronounces  it).

Santayana -- interesting. I'm _very_ familiar with the ambience of  Harvard
that _gave_ Santayana.

Cheers,

JL

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!