[lit-ideas] Opera: The Art of Dying

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 15:37:24 EDT

We've been considering on this list the  contingencies of death. But no art
has made a more profound impact on the 'art'  of dying as opera has.

Allow me to expand on the importance of this  musical genre for our
understanding of the _meaning_ of  death.

In 1763, Giuseppe Tantelli was playing  _Tancredi_ by Rossini at the
Teatro Regio of Milan.  During his virtuosismo of 'voce di testa' in the
aria of  the second Act, his neck vein collapsed to the pressure.  The
tenor died on stage after much bleeding.

The  audience thought it was part of the plot.

Cheers,

JLS

**************Recession-proof vacation ideas.  Find free things to do in
the U.S.