[lit-ideas] Re: Onora O'Neill interview

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 15:25:30 +0000 (GMT)

> In the situation, which is this list, is it really the case
> that male
> academics (etc.) would be referred to by their full names?

I'd say so, yes.  That is, I would not post here (for example) I thought
Brian's new book was good or, I see Tim has a piece in (name of journal), I see
Bernard died.  That isn't only because of a possible confusion with other
academic writers, it's because it seems inappropriate. (This is not about
deference, or class. It is not only about knowing people or not knowing them; I
use full names on this list when I would use first names, possibly in
diminutive form, if writing to others who knew the people concerned.)

But perhaps other people here have been posting about male writers and using
first names, and I simply haven't noticed.

> Perhaps it is a class thing?

Perhaps it is a feminist thing (to ask for equal treatmemt)

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK