[lit-ideas] Re: On Being Misinformed

  • From: jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 12:52:30 -0400

W. O.:

"differentiate between "being misinformed" and "giving
the impression of being misinformed.""

--- If someone can explain to me. Because I was not able to understand the link to Casablanca Misinformed.

But I suppose it is good to distinguish between "being misinformed" and "giving the impression".

Incidentally. The typical scenario:

"Anyone hiding in the closet?"

For Kant, it is immoral ALWAYS to misinform.

There´s this painting,

When did you last see your father?

The painter, a Russian, depicts the young son of a cavalier. The whole painting describes the theatricality of a child who has been taught ALWAYS to tell the truth. So one supposes he will say that he last saw his father the day before. As it happened. As it turned out, he is being saved via implicature. "Surely he saw him in dreams".

The problem here is disimplicature.

We CAN say, "I saw my father last last night in dreams". This is a bad use of "see". Similarly, it is a bad use of "inform" to say that the child "informs" the interroators if what he tells them is something he believes is false.

Popper cannot deal with these subtleties and wants us engage in newish uses of language that go against all that England stands for.

Etc.

J. L. Speranza
Bordighera.
----- "Little England Outside England"