[lit-ideas] Re: On Being Misinformed

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 14:28:10 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 15/5/10, jlsperanza@xxxxxxx <jlsperanza@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> --- If someone can explain to me. Because I was not able to
> understand the link to Casablanca Misinformed.

Perhaps that Rick was wrongly informed about the waters in Casablanca and yet
no one pulled him up on his grammar. Perhaps also that Rick's character was
once to be played by Ronald Reagan and "Bedtime For Bonzo" is surely one of
your favourites.

> For Kant, it is immoral ALWAYS to misinform.

Surely "AlWAYS immoral" is better 'grammar' - being less ambiguous and prone to
confusion with "immoral to ALWAYS misinform". Or perhaps this is too subtle for
a non-Poppern.

> Similarly, it is a bad use of
> "inform" to say that the child "informs" the interrogators if
> what he tells them is something he believes is false.

So it is "bad use" to write: "When asked whether he was Jewish, the child
informed the Gestapo that he was not, his name was Hans Schmidt and he was a
Lutheran"? The "informed" has, surely, a subtle connotation here that is apt to
a particular way the untrue information was conveyed.

> Popper cannot deal with these subtleties...

Hardly [see his work as a translator]. But he fears getting bogged down in them
at the expense of worthwhile theorising.

Donal