[lit-ideas] Re: Nietzsche and Nazism

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 16:17:48 +0200
On 31 Mar 2014, at 01:20, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Granted that the Nazi interpretations of N. were selective and biased, but
> ALL interpretations are selective and biased.

I like the terms which I first learned applied to religious literature:
exegesis and eisegesis: roughly 'reading out of the text' and 'reading into the
text'.

From Wikipedia:

"Eisegesis (formed from the Greek preposition εἰς "into" and the ending from
the English word exegesis, which in turn is derived from ἐξηγεῖσθαι "to lead
out") is the process of interpreting a text or portion of text in such a way
that it introduces one's own presuppositions, agendas, or biases into and onto
the text. This is commonly referred to as reading into the text. The act is
often used to "prove" a pre-held point of concern to the reader and to provide
him or her with confirmation bias in accordance with his or her pre-held
agenda. Eisegesis is best understood when contrasted with exegesis. While
exegesis draws out the meaning from a text in accordance with the context and
discoverable meaning of its author, eisegesis occurs when a reader imposes his
or her interpretation into and onto the text. As a result, exegesis tends to be
objective when employed effectively while eisegesis is regarded as highly
subjective."

The Nazi's, with the help of Nietzsche's sister, corrupted the texts and then
read into them what they chose to support their program.

About that paper "How did Friedrich Nietzsche’s ideas influence the Nazi regime
in the Third Reich?" by Lucas Carter at the link you provided us with: I
started to write  critique - but quite frankly don't have the time.  Let it
suffice to say: it's terrible! See instead the Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influence_and_reception_of_Friedrich_Nietzsche

especially the section 'Nietzsche and fascism'. If you read German, see:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nietzsche-Rezeption_im_Nationalsozialismus

Chris Bruce, in
Kiel Germany