[lit-ideas] Re: Nepal: an old-fashioned revolution

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 09:23:30 EDT

Hello  teme17@xxxxxxxxx,
In reference to your  comment:

People trekking
in Himalayas are  occasionally stopped by the Maoists,
give a few rupees and you can have  your picture taken
with AK-47 wielding guerrilla.

And I thought my life was surrealistic these days.......

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Nepal: an
old-fashioned revolution  Date: 4/25/06 2:13:07 A.M. Central Daylight Time
From:
_teme17@xxxxxxxxxx (mailto:teme17@xxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nepalese politics would be funny if it weren't so  sad.
For instance, back when they still had elections, the
left won one.  Right wingers organized a shut down of
garbage collection to show that the  rule of the left
leads to disarray... Kathmandu is dirty at best of
times  and that went on for months.

Or take the Maoist insurgency and tourism.  To this
date, of the millions of visitors to the country, to
my knowledge  exactly one visitor has been physically
attacked (a young woman was drugged  and raped by his
tour guide, a huge scandal locally). People trekking
in  Himalayas are occasionally stopped by the Maoists,
give a few rupees and you  can have your picture taken
with AK-47 wielding guerrilla.

When I  visited back in mid-90's, the mood was
optimistic. Yes, it was a desperately  poor country.
Too many people and too little land basically, leading
to  slums in Kathmandu and poverty in the mountains.
But Nepal had something  going for it absent in other
such nations: peace.

There were lot of  aid projects, and quite a few of
them actually worked including education,  health care
and conservation projects in the mountains (due lack
of land  and need for fuel, farmers cut forests, which
leads to soil erosion and thus  less land...) More than
million of tourists visited, and the number  was
growing rapidly. We hired a Sherpa guide to keep us
from falling off a  cliff (literally!), a seventeen
year old kid earning money while learning  English at
the same time in order to go to a business school. He
wanted to  start a travel company.

There were talks of building hydro power with  Indians,
generating both more electricity than all the Nepalese
needed  while providing steady income from export of
electricity. One of the German  auto companies,
Wolkswagen I think, had plans to do alternative  urban
vehicle development and manufacturing in Kathmandu, a
sensible place  for such operations.

They had multi-party democracy, in many ways still  at
its infancy, but it looked like the king (the one
eventually gunned  down by his son) was turning into an
European style monarch. The Maoist  insurgency was a
minor revolt in the remote western parts of country.  I
remember saying to a friend that if they start a civil
war in a terrain  like this, it will never end.

It seems that the king may step down and  seek refuge
in India, thus removing one main obstacle in
negotiations with  Maoists, the abolition of monarchy.
Still, the political parties  demonstrating in
Kathmandu are in war with the Maoists too, who are  no
angels anyway. One can  hope.

--- Andreas Ramos  <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's pretty funny. India under  assault by Maoist
> guerillas?

India is a continent, not a country.  There are
uprisings and separatist movements, particularly  up
North.

> The US doesn't care about this; Bush doesn't  even
> know where Nepal is, and most of all, it
> doesn't have any  oil. End of interest.

The US Ambassador to Nepal explained the  decision to
arm the Nepalese military with M-16s couple years back
as part  of War on Terror designed to escalate the
conflict to its natural conclusion.  I am not making
this up.

Or for something not just plain stupid, but  plain
evil. A doctor (an American I think) running a clinic
in rural Nepal  funded partly by US Aid, invited Jesse
Helms or George Bush, preferably both,  to come over.
He needs someone to explain to his patient with nine
more  kids than she can feed and pregnant again, why
the doctor can not even  mention abortion, never mind
perform  one.

Yours,
Teemu
Helsinki,  Filand