[lit-ideas] My Bad, I'm Mad

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 18:26:43 EDT

English and the Neighbourhood

 "Why say four words when you can say one word and rhyme it at the  same
time?"
                Reilly.

In a message dated 7/5/2009 6:10:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
But then, if one is
going the efficiency  route, why not call water "wet" and be done with it.
---

---

Don't  be surprised if Heraclitus, Ursula's genius, did ("The Wet", The
Hydron, or  Heraclitus's refutation of Thales).

---

From the OED,

wet,  adj.  used substantively, "the  wet"

1594 TREVISA 8 For ye  wette iz wette. WYCLIFF tr. Deut. Moses
opend the  wetts of A'Gypt.

O'Reilly in his column yesterday was discussing the  'good' -- "my bad". He
says the origin is 'hip hop' in the neighbourhood. A lot  of expressions
which are shorter than the nouns (wet for water for example) may  all
originate in the neighbourhood.

transcribed from online link:

By Bill O’Reilly

"WITH Americans busy celebrating the 233rd birthday of the United  States,
freedom of >speech comes to mind. Americans are big on speaking  freely, but
the words we use are quite another matter. In fact, we are becoming  a
nation of braying sheep, using the same words and phrases over and over.
Benjamin Franklin, a wordsmith if there ever was one, would have some issues
with
that. “Issues.” That is a drastically overused word that is being used to
avoid the proper word: 'problems.' He has 'issues' sounds a lot better than
'the  guy is dramatically screwed up.' So, issues, not problems, is the new
polite.  'My friend.' Is it just me, or does calling someone you just met
'my friend'  sound a bit condescending? Friendship takes time and commitment.
I don’t want  somebody telling me I’m his or her friend. Alexander
Hamilton, who could be a  mean guy, would understand, and if he were still
alive,
he would give me a shout  out. 'Shout out.' That cliche comes from the
hip-hop world, which has done more  to ruin the English language than Paris
Hilton. But the rappers have won this  battle. Millions of Americans are now
shouting out to their friends and  neighbors. What’s next, Dick Cheney giving a
'shout out' to Don Rumsfeld? If it  happens, it will be Cheney’s 'bad.'

'My bad.'

"This may be the worst cliche since 'groovy.' Again, it comes from hip-hop,
 where 'they be chillin’' over using phrases like

        'that was my fault.'

Why say four words when you can say two and rhyme at the same time?

“My bad, I’m mad.” Awesome. “Awesome.” Why not “splendid,” “excellent”
or  “super”? Sorry, we had “super” a few years ago, and it almost drove me
to learn  Farsi. But, really, why awesome? And don’t tell me “it is what
it is.” I hate  that. What does “it is what it is” mean? Should we go around
saying stuff like  “hey, look at that alligator — it is what it is.” I
know that. I know what I’m  seeing and hearing. I don’t need someone to tell
me. That is sooooo not cool.  And cool. When Marlon Brando said it in the
1950s, it sounded good. When Edd  “Kookie” Byrnes said it on “77 Sunset Strip,”
 it was in context. When President  Barack Obama says it, I want to turn in
my passport. Grown ups should not be  saying “cool” unless willing, like
Brando, to ride big motorcycles very fast.  Then it’s OK. You go, girl!
Yikes. “You go, girl!” is another expression from  the hood made popular by
Oprah Winfrey and other TV people. Now all the girls  are going. But where?
Where are the ladies heading? I don’t know."

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza
   Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Steps!