[lit-ideas] "Mr Strawson" and "Mr Grice"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 19:11:51 EDT

In a message dated 4/6/2009 6:33:12 P.M. Eastern  Daylight Time,
rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:
There was a required format: Black, on  first mention, was to be referred
to as Professor Black; from then on he was  to be referred to as Mr.
Black. Students, on first mention, were to be  referred to as Mr. (Miss,
Mrs.) Watson (e.g.) and thereafter in this case  simply as Watson.

----

Interesting.

Well, something similar I read from S. Chapman's book ('Is it offensive to
call him a linguist?'), "Paul Grice: philosopher and linguist" ("Is it
offensive  to call him Paul Grice?").

She notes that Quine was especially amused (in a bad way) by that  formality.
The cardboxes now deposited at UC/Berkeley (Bancroft) contain those
handwritten notes from the joint seminars at Oxford --.

Quine, and the passage is cited in Chapman, explicitly recalls them in his
"Memoir". Words to the effect:

    "They met once a week on Mondays. I was intrigued by the  formality
    of it all. First Grice would read his reply to "Mr.  Strawson". "As Mr.
Strawson wrote on page 3,  'sense-datum' is _presupposed_ in the
    'qualia'". To this, Strawson would reply along similar  lines, reading
from
     notes, "Last week, when Mr. Grice objected to my  use of 'presupposes'";
     "On page 5, Mr. Grice calls my view  'transcendentalist'""

Quine was intrigued that students even _care_ to listen; but I guess those
joint seminars were mandatory. The formality was hard to digest, although not
for Grice and Strawson one expects.

Grice must have found those notes worth keeping, as he did keep them and  are
_now_ kept. It is another thing when or if someone is going to transcribe
them for posterity.

Black was born in Russia of a diplomat father; he may have inherited some  of
the bureaucratic view on things.

----

Later in life, Grice would just alow people to _tape_ his things, and
audio-cassettes are deposited at UC/Berkeley, too. At one time he asked the Uni
 for
extra money to transcribe the lectures, but I don't think his wish was
granted.

Cheers,

JL

steps!