[lit-ideas] "Must A Name Mean Something?"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 19:04:13 EDT

In a message dated 4/6/2009 6:36:15 P.M. Eastern  Daylight Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
When I was living in Seattle, I  knew this Hispanic guy that everyone called
"George".  I thought that  odd until I realized that his name was Jorge.

----

Asks Alice to Humpty Dumpty.

"Well, yes; it tells you what shape you are."

Of course Greek _georgias_ is a common name, means 'farmer'. It _is_  related
to 'country' (as in 'country matters', etc.). Hence "Georgics", i.e.  poem of
bucolic beauty.

Now "Lewis" is more of a Germanic thing. I think it means 'warrior'.

Why "Jorge Luis" Borges was thus named is sort of easy to explain. His
father was "Jorge Borges", a laywer. Jorge Borges's mother was English, so that

may explain the "Jorge", I haven't checked. He was born in the 1870s, in Buenos

Aires.

"Borges" itself is, I was told, a Jewish surname -- of Portuguese immediate
origin.

----

O. T. O. H., there's Zuleika Dobson.

(I'm currently reading "The Genius of Lancaster" -- the programme of a
current exhibition).

Cheers,

JL

   -- "When I'm bored, I leaf through Debrett's, just to  amuse
   myself at the Christian names these lords endow their  offspring."
               Wodehouse.

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221621488x1201450096/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID
%3D62%26bcd%3DAprilfooterNO62)