[lit-ideas] : Mooreian nonParadoxes

  • From: Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 07:47:02 +0000

McEvoy D is wholly right on the matter.
One of the idiocies of these debates is that there is a silly burden of proof
distribution.

Let us grant, or admit for discussion’s sake, the all agree (what the attorneys
call the common cause) that there is a conceptual linkage between logic and
modalities. Hence if ‘x is logically possible’ then ‘x is possible tout court.
It is granted equally that conceivability entails possibility (really? Never
mind)
THEN (this is the problem)
The idealist dream (the skeptical hypothesis: if I am sitting, there is no ass
fo mine, no chair, no wall, no universe, etc.) is possibly conceivable etc.
Equally conceivable is the hypothesis that I have an ass, which is reclined on
a chair, in the universe, or one of them (they tell me in physics) etc.
Why should the hypothesis of the chair have the burden of proof demonstratin’
beyond any reasonable doubt that the skeptic/idealist is wrong?

Note that I have no stake in this (I agree with oK in that the forms of
idealisms endorsed in the German tradition [see Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, and
others] are fully coherent)

Best